[Podcast] Many Strings to Your Bow
Is the Gigaom shutdown a harbinger of what’s to come for tech media outlets? Manny and Jim brought in March Communications CEO Martin Jones, who just celebrated March’s 10-year anniversary, to discuss what led to Gigaom’s downfall, consumers’ evolving expectations for media outlets and the declining influence of the “gatekeeper” in journalism.
Leading into our conversation with Martin, we tried the Meerkat app for the first time, with mixed results, to say the least. We also chatted about Facebook’s “Faustian” plot to become the go-to platform for all media outlets.
- Meerkat: The Future of Reporting – or Just a Plaything for Narcissists (The Guardian)
- When Live Video App Meerkat is An Unwelcome Guest (Fortune)
- Demise of Gigaom Doesn’t Faze Its Rivals (New York Times)
- Jonah Peretti Explains Why Buzzfeed Is Happy to Cut a (Theoretical) Deal With Facebook (Re/code)
- It’s the Relationship, Stupid (BuzzMachine)
- Should News Sites Make a ‘Faustian Bargain’ with Facebook? (Yahoo Tech)
This episode’s music is provided by Job Creators. Check them out at JobCreatorsBand.com
Subscribe to Hacks and Flacks
We’re switching things up on Hacks and Flacks today. This year March Communications celebrated 15 years as a tech PR agency – a big deal for any business and especially in the ever-changing world of communications. We were originally planning on a big celebration in...
Diversity, equity and inclusion have been top-of-mind for business leaders over the last several months. Many organizations, March included, are only just beginning to skim the surface of these issues and shine a brighter light on how we can do better on these fronts....